ATM Safety Tips
The Seattle Police Department offers ATM safety tips.
- Use an ATM located inside an open business whenever possible.
- Avoid using street ATMs during night time hours.
- Always be aware of suspicious persons or vehicles in the area of the ATM. Trust your gut feeling. If things don’t feel right, avoid that ATM.
- Have ATM card out of your wallet or purse before approaching the ATM.
- Don’t write your ATM personal identification number on your card or keep the number in your wallet.
- When entering your personal identification number, try to keep the numbers from the view of others.
- Don’t withdraw large amounts of cash.
- Secure your money at the ATM. Don’t walk away with money in hand.
- Always take your receipt with you.
- If a robber demands your money, don’t argue or fight with the suspect. Note the robber’s description and give the robber the money.
- Get away as soon as it is safe to do so. Remember the money is not worth getting hurt over.
- Report all robberies to police as soon as possible by calling 911.