Axis Celebrates 15 Years of Network Cameras

At Wednesday’s Axis Communications press breakfast, Axis executives say only 25 percent of installed cameras are IP -- the other 75 percent are still analog. But Axis plans to bring users from the analog darkness into the IP light, and one way to do that is by introducing some exciting products.

The Axis M50 is the world’s smallest, ceiling-mount PTZ dome network cameras with HDTV performance. Fitting in the palm of your hand, the AXIS M50 provides a highly discreet and affordable solution for monitoring indoor areas, such as retail stores, banks, hotels, office lobbies, restaurants and warehouses -- with remote monitoring capabilities to improve security and more effectively manage one or more locations.

“With the launch of this affordably priced, palm-sized PTZ dome series, businesses of all types have the opportunity to enjoy the flexibility and wide-coverage viewing that a pan/tilt/zoom camera provides, with the bonus of an HDTV option,” said Fredrik Nilsson, general manager of Axis Communications, in a press release.“And, thanks to the many benefits of IP video, it will be a great fit for store and business owners who require an overview of their building to not only monitor security, but to also see if operations are running as they should be.”

The Axis P5512/-E are indoor and outdoor, day/night, PTZ dome cameras with 360-degreen pan for overview surveillance and 12x optical zoom for detailed views. The cameras are ideal for stores, banks, educational facilities, parking lots, construction sites and business premises.

“By expanding the popular AXIS P55 Series to include indoor and outdoor P5512 models, we continue to broaden our portfolio to provide more and more affordable options for professional-level PTZ domes for users requiring broad surveillance coverage and detailed video,” Nilsson said in a press release.

The Axis Q6035/-E HDTV offer  1080p, full frame rate at 30 fps, PTZ and 20x optical zoom. The indoor and outdoor-ready AXIS Q6035/-E PTZ Dome Network Cameras also support 60 fps in HDTV 720p, enabling the capture of quick movements. The cameras are ideal for mission-critical and wide-area surveillance applications such as at airports, stadiums and casinos, as well as for city and perimeter surveillance.

Past, Present and Future

Axis invented the first network camera in 1996. It offered 0.1 megapixels at 1 fps. In 2000, the technology hopped to 0.4 megapixels at 30 fps. In 2004, network cameras offered a whopping 2 megapixels at 30 fps and coming down the pipeline are 5 megapixels at 30 fps. 2016 is projected to bring us 10 megapixels at 60 fps, and in 2020, we’ll have 30 megapixels at 120 fps.

Axis believes that the cloud, specifically hosted video, is the future of video surveillance. That’s why the company is proud to partner with those who also embrace the technology, such as Milestone, iomega, Siemens, Niscayah, Stanley, ADT, Sureview, Pivot, AMT, Salient and IPConfigure.

Posted by Sherleen Mahoney on Apr 06, 2011

  • Becoming a Guide on the Customer Journey Becoming a Guide on the Customer Journey

    In this episode, Security Today editor-in-chief Ralph Jensen chats with Chris Hugman of System Surveyor about the customer journey. As the company’s chief executive officer, Hugman continues to work toward his vision of seamless systems management from concept to system end-of-life. He also addresses what it takes to be a guide in the security industry and why it is different from the traditional sales process. Originally a systems integrator, Hugman reveals his thoughts on technology and the prospects of the customer journey over the next few years, as well as the direction of technology.

Digital Edition

  • Environmental Protection
  • Occupational Health & Safety
  • Spaces4Learning
  • Campus Security & Life Safety