For the past 30 minutes after viewing the video below, I have tried to get started with this blog post, but all my attempts have been met with me rolling my eyes, sighing out loud and pressing the delete button. Yes, a simple video has me stumped, not because I don’t know what I want to say, but because there is SO much to be said. Look:
What you just witnessed was a 12-month-old baby being encouraged to put a .40 caliber handgun in her mouth and say “bang” and “pow” by a male voice, later found out to be Michael Barnes, age 19, and a female voice, the baby’s mother, Toni Wilson, age 22.
I have so many emotions right now that I can’t seem to get under control, so I’ll just stick to the facts. Here’s what we know:
- It is unclear if the gun is loaded;
- It is unclear if the safety on the gun is on;
- At no point does Barnes or Wilson attempt to stop the baby from playing with the gun;
- Wilson told police the gun in the video was a pellet gun (I can no longer hold my opinions back: as if a pellet gun would make it any better!);
- Barnes faces multiple charges including child neglect, criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon and connection with thwarted gun sale; and
- Wilson faces multiple charges including child neglect and criminal recklessness.
To add to this disturbing situation is the fact that not only would this video never have been found had an undercover police officer not attempted to purchase a gun from Barnes on social media but there were also 1-month-old twin babies in the home as well.
Alright readers, let the comments flow!