Having lived in Stephenville, Texas and attended Tarleton State University for two years, I can say from experience that the “sidewalks roll up” sometimes before 9pm with the only outing around this time or after being going to the movies or hitting Sonic for a chocolate-cherry Coke! (The Sonic in this one-horse town makes the best I’ve ever had!) And, speaking of movies, who has seen American Sniper?
I’ve seen it. For 2.5 hours I sat with eyes glued to the movie screen. It was full of guns, action scenes, shooting, killing, blood…even a child was killed, and it was extremely vivid. Afterwards, I sat wondering if Hollywood had glamorized this tragic tale and if it would affect the outcome of the trial.
Here are 5 things we know about the fatal shooting:
- Routh admitted he shot Kyle and Littlefield at Rough Creek Lodge shooting range claiming he was agitated by the fact that the victims did not talk to him on the ride to the range.
- Routh pleaded not guilty, even though in a video confession he said, “I had to kill them before they kill me.”
- Routh may have suffered from PTSD. When he was arrested, he told police he felt unstable: “I’ve been so paranoid and schizophrenic all day…I don’t even know what to make of the world right now. I don’t know if I’m insane.”
- Routh said that he was pressured to shoot at the range. He claimed that Littlefield pressured him to fire his gun.
- Routh’s defense lawyers wanted a mistrial based on evidence given in error. The request was denied and the jury was told to disregard this evidence.
Personally, what I know is this: Chris Kyle does deserve a trial and to rest in peace along with his friend Chad Littlefield. Kyle’s wife deserves closure as does his children. And, then we have Eddie Ray Routh’s mother, an innocent bystander to it all, who also deserves rest.
- Do you think the movie “American Sniper” will affect the trial’s outcome?
- Do you think Routh is guilty, even if he suffered from PTSD and was taking medication?
- If you have seen the movie, do you think it was glamorized by Hollywood?
- Ultimately, what should happen to Routh?
I look forward to discussing this with you, our readers, and hearing your thoughts, opinions and reactions!