Sony Launches Affordable Compact HD Security Cameras
Sony Electronics announced a new line of affordably priced, high-performance security cameras. The high-definition C-Series cameras – models SNC-CX600 and SNC-CX600W – fit a range of security or surveillance applications, especially those for the small-to-midsize business (SMB) market. This includes retailers, offices and restaurants.
“Small- and medium-sized businesses are more interested in security and surveillance than ever before,” said Mark Collett, general manager of Sony Electronics’ Security Systems Division. “However, these customers typically have smaller budgets, so most high-end, HD cameras are cost-prohibitive. Our new C-Series cameras are particularly well suited for smaller installations because they offer professional-level features in a small, well-priced camera that is easy to deploy and manage.”
The SNC-CX600 and SNC-CX600W cameras are equipped with many features not typically found in comparably priced products. The cameras include:
- 720p (HD) image quality for high-resolution imaging;
- A 120 degree viewing angle rather than the standard 90 degree angle, which reduces the number of cameras needed to cover an area;
- A built-in motion sensor that works in both light and dark environments;
- White, LED illumination for true-to-life color recording;
- Edge storage capabilities that reduce costs by recording video and audio directly onto microSD or SDHC cards, bypassing the need for external recorders;
- Sony’s IPELA ENGINE EX integrated signal processing system that enhances video quality;
- Wi-Fi certification that enables the stable transmission of video via wireless networks; Improved security and simplified setup using WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup);
- A speaker that plays alerts or pre-recorded voice messages; and
- A microphone for optional sound capture.
The SNC-CX600 and SNC-CX600W both have a list price of $497. Sony plans to make the SNC-CX600W available through its product distribution channel in early September, while the SNC-CX600 is planned for December availability.