One Key Figure Dead in the Arrest of Oregon Protesters

One Key Figure Dead in the Arrest of Oregon Protesters

The weeks-long armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon suffered two major blows when protest leader Ammon Bundy was arrested and another key figure was killed.

Bundy and several of his fellow occupiers were pulled over Jan. 26 on Highway 395. The group had planned to participate in a community meeting set up by local residents.

Everyone obeyed orders made by the arresting officers except for two people – Bundy’s brother, Ryan Bundy and LaVoy Finicum. As the two men resisted, shots were fired. It is unclear who fired first at this point. Ryan Bundy was wounded and Finicum died.

All in all, police arrested eight people liked to the wildlife refuge takeover: five in the traffic stop on Highway 395 and three others in various places.

All eight people arrested face a federal felony charge of conspiracy to impede officers of the United States from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation or threats.

With the leader of the occupation arrested, it is not clear what will happen next, as there are still some who continue to occupy the refuge.

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown stressed that the occupation was not over.

“The situation in Harney County continues to be the subject of a federal investigation that is in progress,” Brown said. “My highest priority is the safety of all Oregonians and their communities. I ask for patience as officials continue pursuit of a swift and peaceful resolution.”

About the Author

Sydny Shepard is the Executive Editor of Campus Security & Life Safety.

If you like what you see, get more delivered to your inbox weekly.
Click here to subscribe to our free premium content.

comments powered by Disqus
  • Environmental Protection
  • Occupational Health & Safety
  • Infrastructure Solutions Group
  • School Planning & Managmenet
  • College Planning & Management
  • Campus Security & Life Safety