Accidental Discharge Weeks after Implementation of Campus Carry
Less than two months after a Texas law allowing guns into public university buildings went into effect on Aug. 1, an accidental discharge has been reported in a Tarleton State University dorm room.
No one was hurt in the incident, and a university spokesman said on Friday that there was, “minimal damage” to university property.
The accidental firing, which was first reported by the school’s newspaper, happened Wednesday, Sept. 14 at Integrity Hall, a co-ed dormitory for upperclassman on campus. The university said the person who fired the gun was a concealed license holder. Details of the person’s age and relationship to the university have not been released.
“The university is following its policies in responding to this incident and will continue to make every effort to assure the safety of our people,” said Harry Battson, assistant vice president of marketing and communications.
The university has a policy for storage of handguns on campus, as outlined on their website.
“Any resident of campus housing, who is a handgun license holder and wants to store a handgun in his/her room, must provide and properly install their own steel safe in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.” the website reads.