Israel Sees Push Back After Installing Security Measures at Religious Site

UPDATE: Israel Embassy Shooting in Jordan Deepens Uncertainties about Security at Temple Mount

Israel began implementing new security measures at entrances of one of the most holy sites in Jerusalem.

[UPDATE: July 25, 2017 8:00 a.m.]

An Israeli embassy security guard fatally shot two Jordanians in Amman Sunday after one of them reportedly attacked him with a screwdriver.

The incident prompted concerns that the increased security measures at Temple Mount might exacerbate tensions between the neighboring states.

The incident did not seems as if it is in direct relation to the placement of metal detectors at the entrances of one of the most holy sites in Israel, but many believe the incident could spark even more protests from those that believe the additional security is unnecessary.

Thousands of protesters took to the streets against the Israeli policies at the shrine motivating security officials to look into a compromise that would keep the temple secure but also let those who wish to worship inside at peace with the amount of security.

Security officials hinted that a solution is in the works, and will be revealed in time.

Original story posted below.

Following recent events in the country and around the world, Israeli authorities have decided to implement security measures, including checkpoints and metal detectors, at entrances to one of Jerusalem’s most sensitive holy sites.

The call for security began after three gunman killed two police officers at the sacred al-Aqsa Mosque compound just last week. The perpetrators, Palestinian Muslims with Israeli citizenship, were caught on police cameras shooting two police officers before darting off. Security forces tracked down the assailants and they were shot dead by security forces.

Immediately after the incident, Israeli police closed the mosque and prevented worshipers from entering the compound for the first time since 1967 in order to install the new security measures.

In an interview on Israel Army Radio on Sunday, Maj. Gen. Yoram Halevy, the Jerusalem District police commander, said knives, slingshots, batons, spikes and unexploded ordnance were found during a police sweep of the area after the two policemen were shot. Israeli police said the measures were necessary to secure the site and ensure there were no other weapons present while people come to worship.

The move was widely criticized by many in the Muslim world, who view the ramped-up security as an attempt to change the precious status quo at the site. Though the mosque reopened on Sunday afternoon, many boycotted, saying they would not be back until the security measures are taken down, something the Israeli police say they are not comfortable with.

  • Environmental Protection
  • Occupational Health & Safety
  • Infrastructure Solutions Group
  • Spaces4Learning
  • Campus Security & Life Safety