Tips: Secure Your Home For Summer Vacation
Research indicates that warm weather, children out of school, economic pressures created by soaring gas prices, and summer vacation equal higher crime levels. Most residential break-ins are crimes of opportunity. Burglars often only pick houses that are easy targets
Fortunately for homeowners, they can strengthen their security and make their home unappealing to burglars by practicing the following steps from Universal Protection Services.
- Make sure there is adequate interior and exterior lighting around the house.
- Use alarms, motion sensors, intercom systems, and where appropriate, cameras.
- Do not put your name on the outside of your residence or on the mailbox.
- Keep a clear view of all approaches to your home.
- Eliminate hiding places by landscaping properly.
- Plant low thorny bushes below your windows.
- Do not display valuables to the outside world.
- Entrances and exits should have solid doors and deadbolts.
- Install a double cylinder lock on doors located near windows.
- Install doors with hinges on the inside of the door.
- Reinforce sliding doors by placing a metal or solid wood rod on the inside track.
- Use one-way peepholes in doors.
- Place a padlock on exterior electrical boxes and keep the key readily available.
- Change all locks when moving into a new house or apartment.
- Do not leave spare keys in obvious places, such as under flower pots or welcome mats.
- Watch the electric garage door close completely when you come and go.
- Participate in a neighborhood watch program.