Tips: Home Fire Safety Checklist
Is your home free of hazards?
- Check electrical appliances for loose or frayed cords. Do not place wires under rugs.
- Check for outlets overloaded with plugs; including TV, computer, stereo, and printer.
- Install GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets in your home; especially near sources of water like your bathroom, kitchen and laundry room.
- Use the correct bulb wattage for home light fixtures.
- If any appliances spark, smell unusual or overheat, replace or get repaired by a professional.
- Lamps and nightlights should not touch any fabrics (bedspreads, drapes).
- Electrical blankets are unplugged when not in use. Check for frayed or loose cords and any odd smell. If a problem is detected, replace.
- Supervise children around the stove and microwave.
- Candles should be out of reach of children and pets, curtains and furniture. Never leave candles unattended.
- Annual inspection of furnace or heating system.
- Keep out of walking paths.
- Keep away from children and pets.
- Placed away from beds.
- Newspapers, magazines, and any fabrics, including curtains, sheets, tablecloths, are a not within 3 feet of a space heater.
- Unplug when not in use.
In the kitchen
- Keep an eye on appliances when in use.
- Make sure appliances are turned off and unplugged when not in use.
- When using pots and pans, use the rear burners and turn the handles inwards.
- Do not wear loose clothing while cooking.
- Keep the fire place clean.
- Cover your fireplace with a screen.
- Only burn wood. Papers and other materials can escape while burning and ignite something nearby.
- The fire should be completely extinguished before leaving the room.
- Have your chimney cleaned professionally once a year.