Summer Airline Travel Tips
The TSA offers summer travel tips for airline passengers.
- Quart sized zip top bag (Hint: 1 bag per passenger is permitted).
- 3 ounces or less sized containers of liquids, gels and aerosols.
- Visit TSA.gov to review the prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage.
- If purchasing a luggage lock, be sure to look for those that are recognized by TSA.
- It can be helpful to tape a card with your name and contact information on any large electronics (like laptops).
- Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.)
- Pack large electronics on top layer of carry-on for easy accessibility.
- Place your 3-1-1 bag with liquids, gels and aerosols in front pocket of your carry-on for easy accessibility .
Before Leaving for Airport
- Give yourself enough time to arrive at the airport early.
- Wear easily removable shoes.
- Make sure to have accepted government issued identification and boarding pass (if printed at home).
Before Entering Checkpoint
- Look for Family/Medical Liquids Lanes if special assistance is needed for families.
- Be sure to place all items from pockets and any bulky metal jewelry in carry-on bag or purse.
- Have ID and boarding pass out for inspection.
After Entering Checkpoint
- Remove 3-1-1 bag and place in bin.
- Remove shoes and place directly on belt for quick screening.
- Remove coats and jackets and place in bin.
- Remove computers and large electronics from carry on and place in bin alone (video game consoles, remote control toys, etc.)
- Ensure no items remain in your pockets before proceeding to the walk-thru metal detector or imaging technology (keys, cell phones, comb, eyeglasses, etc.)
- Remember to check bins and collect all belongings following screening.