Home Computer Security Tips
The Internet has simplified the way people live. With the ability to keep up with friends and family around the globe, buy virtually anything, do online banking and even file your taxes in just a few keystrokes, the Web has streamlined how we tackle everyday interactions. But along with the conveniences, it has also given us cyber criminals who can spread viruses that can wipe out your files and infiltrate your computer to gather personal information, like account codes and passwords.
The good news is that with a few simple-to-follow tips and the right computer security software, you can protect your personal information and have a safe online experience.
Online Usage Tips
- Avoid questionable websites, such as adult sites and file sharing sites.
- Use varied and complex passwords for all your accounts, including online shopping accounts, bank accounts and social networking sites.
- Only download software from sites you trust.
- Regularly update your operating system and browser security settings.
- Install computer security software that updates regularly and provides up-to-the-minute protection.
- Use antivirus protection, a firewall and antispyware software.