Euro 2016 Security Budget Increased After Paris Attacks
- By Sydny Shepard
- Mar 03, 2016
The organizers of Euro 2016, the European men’s football championship, have increased the budget for the tournament by 15 percent in the aftermath of the Paris terrorist attacks.
Speaking at a news conference to mark 100 days until the tournament, organizing president Jacques Lambert said the security budget had been increased to €34 million (about $37 million).
France remains in a state of emergency since 130 people were killed in a series of bombings and shootings across the French capital, which has been extended to May 26, two weeks before the tournament begins on July 10.
About 10,000 people have been privately hired for security work, with 900 agents mobilized for each of the 51 matches. Organizers are in charge of security within the 10 stadiums hosting the matches and the French authorities will be dealing with the outside perimeter.
Fans will undergo two security checks when entering stadiums for the Euro 2016. A first perimeter will be set up from the gates, where fans will have their tickets checked and be submitted to body searches. From there they will be checked again before entering the stadium through the turnstiles.
Security at fan zones will also be increased. About seven million supporters visited the fan zones in host cities in 2012, and there are concerns the designated Euro 2016 areas for the public could be targeted by attackers.
UEFA said that Euro games could be moved to different venues in France and rescheduled to be played without crowds in response to any terror attacks or threats.
Sydny Shepard is the Executive Editor of Campus Security & Life Safety.