The "New" Travel Ban
[UPDATE: March 6, 2016 9:00 a.m.]
President Donald Trump is expected to sign the new executive order on immigration today, Monday, March 6.
KellyAnne Conway, counselor to the President, previewed the order on Fox News this morning stating the new executive order would leave out Iraq, and would temporarily ban persons from Syria, Iran, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya from seeking new visas to enter the country.
Sources have also told mainstream media outlets that the immigration order will not go into effect until March 16. Last time, President Trump wanted the roll out of the travel ban to happen immediately so that the news of the new policy wouldn't tempt "bad dudes" to rush to the country.
Original story posted below.
The Trump Administration has delayed plans to roll out a reworked “Travel Ban” in the wake of the positive reaction to his speech to Congress on Tuesday night.
President Donald Trump’s original, infamous executive order that halted travel from seven countries identified by the Obama Administration and temporarily banned all refugees from entering the US was blocked by a federal court earlier this month, leading the President and his team to draft a new version of the executive order.
While the new executive order has not been entirely completed, but sources have told mainstream media outlets that the major changes are as follows:
- The new executive order will make clear that legal permanent residents (green card holders) are excluded from any travel ban.
- Those with validly issued visas will also be exempt from an travel bans.
- The new order is expected to revise or exclude language prioritizing the refugee claims of certain religious minorities.
Homeland Secretary John Kelly has said that there will be a “phase-in” approach this time while implementing the executive order to minimize disruptions.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has told reporters repeatedly that the original executive order will not be redacted, and that the new order will exist on a “dual track” with the first. Despite Spicer’s comments, mainstream media has reported that sources believe President Trump will, in fact, revoke the original executive order when the next is introduced.
As to when this executive order will be introduced, no one knows. The order was scheduled to be signed Wednesday, March 1, but White House officials decided to delay the event as a result of the widespread positive reactions to the speech President Trump gave to Congress the night before.
“We want the (executive order) to have its own ‘moment,’” an official said.