New York City Parks to get Boost in Security

New York City Parks to get Boost in Security

New York City has seen a lot of crime in the parks of the city that never sleeps, but the straw that reportedly broke the camel’s back seems to be a young woman was gang-raped by teenage boys on a playground.

The city’s park, just two weeks after the incident, are now poised to receive additional funding for security. Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio wants to increase the current funding for security by approximately 30 percent, allowing the city to hire 67 full-time Parks Enforcement Patrol staffers and another 50 seasonal part-timers as part of this preliminary budget proposal.

The new agents would largely be sent to a number of high-traffic parks and attractions, including the Coney Island boardwalk, Battery Park, Prospect Park and some Staten Island parks.

The Parks Enforcement Patrol staffers focus on enforcing park regulations, such as illegal vending, prohibited alcohol consumption and visitor harassment. Officials said the new agents’ presence will free up police officers to focus on the more serious offenses.

Crime in New York has continued to decrease along with city’s overall crime rate. There were 391 crimes, against people and property, across the park system last year, down from 432 the year before. Parks make up 14 percent of the city’s land but less than 1 percent of its total crime.

But a spotlight has been cast on the safety of the parks ever since an 18-year-old woman reported being raped on a Brooklyn playground Jan. 7.

Mayoral aides said the plan to increase funding for park security was already in place before the horrid event. Citizens and park workers alike are glad to hear that there will be more eyes to deter further crime.  

 

About the Author

Sydny Shepard is the Executive Editor of Campus Security & Life Safety.

Featured

New Products

  • PE80 Series

    PE80 Series by SARGENT / ED4000/PED5000 Series by Corbin Russwin

    ASSA ABLOY, a global leader in access solutions, has announced the launch of two next generation exit devices from long-standing leaders in the premium exit device market: the PE80 Series by SARGENT and the PED4000/PED5000 Series by Corbin Russwin. These new exit devices boast industry-first features that are specifically designed to provide enhanced safety, security and convenience, setting new standards for exit solutions. The SARGENT PE80 and Corbin Russwin PED4000/PED5000 Series exit devices are engineered to meet the ever-evolving needs of modern buildings. Featuring the high strength, security and durability that ASSA ABLOY is known for, the new exit devices deliver several innovative, industry-first features in addition to elegant design finishes for every opening.

  • Unified VMS

    AxxonSoft introduces version 2.0 of the Axxon One VMS. The new release features integrations with various physical security systems, making Axxon One a unified VMS. Other enhancements include new AI video analytics and intelligent search functions, hardened cybersecurity, usability and performance improvements, and expanded cloud capabilities

  • HD2055 Modular Barricade

    Delta Scientific’s electric HD2055 modular shallow foundation barricade is tested to ASTM M50/P1 with negative penetration from the vehicle upon impact. With a shallow foundation of only 24 inches, the HD2055 can be installed without worrying about buried power lines and other below grade obstructions. The modular make-up of the barrier also allows you to cover wider roadways by adding additional modules to the system. The HD2055 boasts an Emergency Fast Operation of 1.5 seconds giving the guard ample time to deploy under a high threat situation.