Tips: Protect Against Insurance Fraud, Staged Accidents
GEICO offers tips for motorists to reduce their chances of being targeted in a staged accident or in other types of insurance fraud.
- Record names of all vehicle occupants, addresses, license plate numbers, witness information, and any other facts you think might be important.
- Keep a disposable camera in your vehicle to take photos of the vehicles involved and the accident scene.
- Do not tailgate -- criminals will brake unexpectedly in front of tailgaters to intentionally cause an accident. Look out for vehicles that brake suddenly for no apparent reason.
- Look out for large, older vehicles with three or more occupants. Criminals often crowd into old cars when looking to stage an accident.
- If you suspect an accident has been staged or another type of fraud related to an auto accident, notify your local police.
- To report suspected fraud, contact the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) at www.nicb.org or 1-800-TEL-NICB or contact GEICO’s Special Investigations Unit at 1-800-824-5404 ext. 3313.