Tips: Stay Safe Online
To help individuals of all ages stay safe online and protect themselves against identity theft and the repercussions of risky online behavior, RSA has launched a website -- http://www.maintainmyprivacy.com with simple and effective online security and social networking tips to help consumers avoid mistakes that can have a negative lifetime impact on career prospects and financial futures. The safe online behavior advice includes:
- Assess your social network "friends" to ensure you're connected with only people you know and trust.
- Consider creating separate lists or profiles for professional and personal networking.
- Take the time to practice safe online behavior -- be sure to end every online session by logging off your personal accounts when you're done using them.
- Don't access personal documents or online bank accounts on public computers.
- Only shop with reputable online companies and be sure to verify web sites for their authenticity before submitting credit card numbers or other personally identifiable information.
- Frequently change your passwords and ensure they're hard to guess by including a series of numbers, letters and symbols.
- Every year complete a full analysis of your online persona. Use a search engine to gather and review all content associated with your identity.
- Check your financial health annually by obtaining a copy of your credit report to look for false or fraudulent activity.