Tips: Fire Safety, Awareness
Each year, fires take lives and burn numerous structures resulting in mounting costs that have an enormous impact on families, communities and businesses. Fires also have devastating impacts on the environment and wildlife. The International Code Council Foundation offers fire safety and awareness tips.
- More than half (55 percent) of home fires caused by candles start because the candle is too close to combustible materials. If you burn candles, ensure they are in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders and placed where they cannot be easily knocked down.
- Plug microwave ovens and other cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance, as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside each sleeping room/bedroom, outside of sleeping rooms/bedrooms and on each level of your house. Test your smoke alarms each month and change the batteries at least once a year
- Purchase an ABC type extinguisher for putting out all types of fires. Fire extinguishers should be mounted in the kitchen, garage and workshop to put out small fires. If there is a large fire, get out immediately and call 911 or your local emergency number.
- When lighting a gas fireplace or gas space heater, strike your match first, then turn on the gas.