Bomb Threat Forces Evacuation of German Stadium
- By Sydny Shepard
- Nov 18, 2015
Just a mere 90 minutes before a Netherlands-Germany soccer match, officials decided to evacuate and cancel the game in Hannover, Germany due to “serious plans for explosions” just four days after the attacks on Paris, which included suicide bombers at the Stade de France.
Chief Volker Kluwe told Germany’s public broadcaster, NDR that authorities “had concrete intelligence that someone wanted to set off an explosive device inside the stadium.” The tip forced officials to make the difficult decision of canceling the game and evacuating the stadium.
“We take this intelligence seriously. That is why we proceeded with this protocol. We did not take this decision lightly, but it was in accordance with the seriousness of the information,” Kluwe said.
Authorities asked those who had already began to file into the stadium for the game, to go home and not stay outside the stadium in large crowds. The soccer fans would have to find their way home on foot, however, as a threat at the central train station kept the transportation unit from running. Police determined that the suspicious object found was a fake bomb.
“Because of everything in Paris, we are particularly sensitive and prepared for everything,” Kluwe said. “We have prepared for this kind of scenario. We will have a heavy presence throughout the night and ensure the safety around the city.”
After officials and explosive professionals intently searched the stadium, they were able to report no explosives or weapons were found.
Sydny Shepard is the Executive Editor of Campus Security & Life Safety.