University Pulls Out of Hosting Presidential Debate over Security Concerns
- By Sydny Shepard
- Jul 20, 2016
A university in Ohio is withdrawing as the host of the first presidential debate of the general election season over security concerns, according to a local news source.
Wright State University President David Hopkins said that fears in the wake of recent terrorist attacks and the rising cost of security prompted the school to drop out from hosting the Sept. 26 debate.
“I can’t assure the safety of our students and the community,” Hopkins said.
Hopkins noted that the local community and state were not able to raise the funds necessary to cover the $8 million needed to put on the debate.
The debate will instead be held at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. Hofstra had been chosen as an alternate location for the upcoming debate cycle and has hosted debates in the past.
The Sept. 26 president debate will be the highly anticipated first in-person showdown between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
Sydny Shepard is the Editor-in-Chief of Campus Security & Life Safety, a special section to Security Today.