Multi-casualty Incident at Florida High School

Multiple Dead; Shooter in Custody Following Incident at Florida High School

The 19-year-old shooter is now in custody.

 [UPDATE: February 14, 2018 8:30 PM]

A 19-year-old male ambushed his former high school with an assault rifle on Wednesday, killing 17 people and injuring over a dozen more in the deadliest shooting on an American school in 2018. 

Officials confirmed the alleged shooter was Nikolas Cruz, a former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. Local news stations reported Cruz had been expelled from the school late last year as he had become a threat to those around him. Students told reporters he had not been able to bring a backpack to school in his last few weeks as a student.

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters on Wednesday afternoon that Cruz had shot and killed 17 people with an AR-15 style firearm. A dozen people were found dead inside the school, two outside the school's building and a third person was found dead on the street near the campus. Two more people succumbed to their wounds at the hospital.

Reports of shots fired were received by police shortly before 3 p.m. local time. Witnesses told reporters that the fire alarm had been triggered and students began to flood the hallways marking their way to designated "evacuation zones" when the gunfire rang out. Student said they heard two to three shots at first, unable to place the sound, before they heard upwards of 40 more gunshots in the classrooms around them.

A Snapchat video of the incident showed student huddled in the corner of a classroom, under desks, while six to 10 gunshots fired off in the next classroom.

A heavy police response followed, FBI and SWAT team members could be seen on the scene within 30 minutes of the first call to 911. Students were placed on lockdown in "Code Red" as police started the intense manhunt for Cruz. 

Nearly an hour and a half after gunfire rang out police in the next town over, less than a mile from the campus took Cruz into custody. He was searched and placed into a police cruiser for a short period of time before he was loaded into an ambulance and taken to a nearby hospital for a leg injury.

Doctors at local hospitals told reporters that all of the victims transported to their facilities suffered gunshot wounds. Three were in critical condition.

This is the 18th instance of gun violence on an American middle or high school in 2018. Three weeks ago two students were killed and 18 more were injured when a student open fired on students at Marshall County High School in Kentucky. 

[UPDATE: February 14, 2018 3:30 PM]

Broward Sheriff has tweeted that the shooter in the Parkland, Florida school shooting is now in custody an hour and a half after reports of shots fired at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Local news reports say the shooter was a former student of the high school and the shooting happened in the school's freshman building.

The amount of people injured in the incident is still unknown, but local news stations have said at least four people have been admitted to a local hospital. Senator Bill Nelson told CBS News that there are multiple fatalities in the shooting.

Hundreds of police, FBI and members of SWAT responded to the scene on Wednesday. The school's website says there are nearly 3,000 students enrolled at the school.

Original story below.

Authorities are responding to reports of a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. The situation is ongoing and will be updated as more information becomes available.

The Broward Sheriff's Office said there are reports of victims. At least 20 people have been injured, a local fire department told CBS Miami. Students are streaming out of the school, but law enforcement says there are still numerous students still hiding in inside school closets.

The shooter is still at large, the sheriff's office said via Twitter. Law enforcement is going from room to room to neutralize the shooter.

The White House said President Trump has been briefed on the shooting and is monitoring the situation.

Students at the school were being evacuated to West Glades Middle School Wednesday afternoon

Emergency workers at the scene of a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Coral Springs, Florida, Feb. 14, 2018.

SWAT teams were seen entering the campus with canines. A number of people could be seen being loaded into ambulances on a stretcher, reports CBS Miami. Students were seen being led across the street with their hands over their heads.

Officers asked people to avoid the area. The Coral Springs Police Department told teachers and students to remain barricaded inside until police reach them.

CBS Miami's Rick Folbaum was speaking over text message with a student at the school who is hiding in a closet.

"All of a sudden there was a really loud noise…..people are crying the closet," the student wrote to him.

This is a developing story and will be updated. 

Featured

  • An Inside Look From Napco at ISC West

    Get a look into the excitement at ISC West 2025 from Napco. Hear from some of their top-tech executives live from the show floor. Read Now

    • Industry Events
    • ISC West
  • Upping the Ante

    I am not a betting man in terms of cards, dice, blackjack or that wheel with the black marble racing around the circumference of a spinning wheel, but I would bet on the success of ISC West this year. Read Now

    • Industry Events
    • ISC West
  • It's Show Time

    I am one of those people that likes to see things get bigger and better. As advertised, ISC West is going to be bigger (more exhibitors) and better (more attendees). It’s show time in Las Vegas. Read Now

    • Industry Events
    • ISC West
  • SIA Releases New Report on Operational Security Technology

    The Security Industry Association (SIA) has released an impactful new resource – Operational Security Technology: Principles, Challenges and Achieving Mission-Critical Outcomes Leveraging OST. Read Now

New Products

  • Luma x20

    Luma x20

    Snap One has announced its popular Luma x20 family of surveillance products now offers even greater security and privacy for home and business owners across the globe by giving them full control over integrators’ system access to view live and recorded video. According to Snap One Product Manager Derek Webb, the new “customer handoff” feature provides enhanced user control after initial installation, allowing the owners to have total privacy while also making it easy to reinstate integrator access when maintenance or assistance is required. This new feature is now available to all Luma x20 users globally. “The Luma x20 family of surveillance solutions provides excellent image and audio capture, and with the new customer handoff feature, it now offers absolute privacy for camera feeds and recordings,” Webb said. “With notifications and integrator access controlled through the powerful OvrC remote system management platform, it’s easy for integrators to give their clients full control of their footage and then to get temporary access from the client for any troubleshooting needs.”

  • Mobile Safe Shield

    Mobile Safe Shield

    SafeWood Designs, Inc., a manufacturer of patented bullet resistant products, is excited to announce the launch of the Mobile Safe Shield. The Mobile Safe Shield is a moveable bullet resistant shield that provides protection in the event of an assailant and supplies cover in the event of an active shooter. With a heavy-duty steel frame, quality castor wheels, and bullet resistant core, the Mobile Safe Shield is a perfect addition to any guard station, security desks, courthouses, police stations, schools, office spaces and more. The Mobile Safe Shield is incredibly customizable. Bullet resistant materials are available in UL 752 Levels 1 through 8 and include glass, white board, tack board, veneer, and plastic laminate. Flexibility in bullet resistant materials allows for the Mobile Safe Shield to blend more with current interior décor for a seamless design aesthetic. Optional custom paint colors are also available for the steel frame.

  • A8V MIND

    A8V MIND

    Hexagon’s Geosystems presents a portable version of its Accur8vision detection system. A rugged all-in-one solution, the A8V MIND (Mobile Intrusion Detection) is designed to provide flexible protection of critical outdoor infrastructure and objects. Hexagon’s Accur8vision is a volumetric detection system that employs LiDAR technology to safeguard entire areas. Whenever it detects movement in a specified zone, it automatically differentiates a threat from a nonthreat, and immediately notifies security staff if necessary. Person detection is carried out within a radius of 80 meters from this device. Connected remotely via a portable computer device, it enables remote surveillance and does not depend on security staff patrolling the area.