School Security Expert Details Benefits of District-level Management
IP video cameras can play a role in helping to improve operations across an entire school district, according to a new Wren advisory: "Managing Video at the District Level for Improved Security across All Schools." The material details security and operational benefits that can be achieved with a district-level approach to video utilization.
"School districts that have deployed IP video to enhance security are well positioned to take surveillance video to the next level, which is achieving operational efficiencies across an entire district," said Jeff Floreno, director of operations and security strategy, Wren. "With the ability to view and monitor multiple schools, administrators should be driving operational efficiencies by sharing best practices based on what they are able to monitor across an entire district. Without IP video, a school is already a step behind in this process."
IP video, the advisory says, can provide a more cost-effective route for future video expansion that could be a part of a district's long-term plans to manage video across all its schools. And, once implemented, the benefits can go beyond security, including:
- Consistently-implemented best practices – administrators can use video to ensure procedures mandated for universal implementation are followed to the letter in all locations for which they are responsible.
- Process improvements – Video can reveal best operational practices at one school, which may benefit other schools when shared.
- Remote validation – Administrators can check on everything from cafeterias being free of debris after lunchtime to all access points in the school being securely closed and monitored.
- Training tool – From best practices to repetitive abuses, administrators can use video as a valuable training tool to showcase real-life scenarios as learning opportunities.
- Regulatory compliance – Failure to comply with fire and health regulations is an issue that can shut down a school instantly. Video can ensure compliance at a district level.
Wren specializes in physical security technologies and services for retail, education, hospitality, healthcare and government facilities. The company's solutions, including enterprise-class video management software, access control systems, security assessments, surveillance cameras and hardware, and professional services, enable organizations to protect people, assets and facilities, while empowering them with operational insights for better performance.